Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Advice

Asking for Advice

PATTERNS

  1. Asking for Advice

1. Do you think I should ……..?

2. What would you advise (me to do)?

3. What would your advice be?

4. What would you do if you were me in my position?

5. I would appreciate your advice.

6. Could I ask for your advice on/about ……?

7. I was wondering/ I’d like to know what your reaction(s) would be?

B. Advising someone to do something

1. I think you should ….

2. If I were you, I’d ……

3. Why don’t you ……?

4. It may not be a bad idea ……..

5. The way I see it, you should ……

6. My advice would be to ….

7. I’d recommend …….

  1. Advising someone not to do something

  1. I don’t think you should/ought to ….
  2. If I were you, I wouldn’t ……
  3. You’d better not ….
  4. Take my advice and …….
  5. It’s upto you, but I wouldn’t …….
  6. The way I see it you shouldn’t ……
  7. I wouldn’t recommend ……
  8. If I were in your position, I wouldn’t ……..

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

Between friends

C: I wan really shocked to hear about the whole thing.

A: We still don’t know how and when the thief entered the store. There seems to be no clue to anything.

B. Well, let’s think of our next step on this.

A: That’s what is worrying me. Do you think we should inform the police about the theft? Or is it all right if we hire a private detective agency to go into this?

C: I think we should inform the police in any case. We may hire a private detective agency if you think that’ll really help us in recovering the stolen goods.

B: I too think it’s not a bad idea to hire a detective agency. We’ll have to spend a few additional chips, but that’ll certainly bring results.

At the shop

A: Good morning, sir. Can I help you?

B: I would like to buy a refrigerator.

A: Please come and have a look at them. We have a variety of them in different sizes and colours.

B: (looks at them) Well, I want to buy one of 165 litres. Which will you recommend?

A: Well, it depends. A velkin fridge which has a built-in voltage stabilizer will cost you nearly Rs.4000/- whereas an Ascolt refrigerator which has a built-in voltage stabilizer and a separate door for the freezer will cost you nearly Rs.5000/- If you’re looking for a cheaper one, you may go on in for Wally which costs just Rs.3,200/- Of course, if you ask me. I’ll recommend the Velkin.

B: Alright. I think I’ll go by your recommendation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share