Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Inviting someone

INVITING SOMEONE

PATTERNS

Inviting someone

  1. Would you like to …..?
  2. I’d like you to ……
  3. How/What about …..?
  4. Why don’t you …….?
  5. Like to ……?
  6. Care for ……?
  7. Perhaps you’d care to ……
  8. We should be very pleased/delighted if you could ….

Accepting an invitation

  1. Thank you. I’d like to very much.
  2. That’d be nice.
  3. Yes, please.
  4. That sounds a nice idea.
  5. With pleasure. / O.K. / Alright.
  6. We’d very much like to …..
  7. What a splendid idea! Thank you.
  8. That’d give us the greatest pleasure.
  9. That’s really most kind of you.

Declining an invitation

  1. Thank you very much, but ….
  2. Thank you for asking me, but …
  3. I’m terribly sorry. I don’t think I can.
  4. I wish I would, but ……
  5. I’m afraid I’ve already promised to ……
  6. Sorry, I can’t. / No, thank you.
  7. Unfortunately, ……. However, thank you.
  8. What a pity. I shan’t be …..
  9. I regret that I shall not be able to accept …..

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

Between friends

A : A few of us are planning to go to the Ajanta caves. Why don’t you join us?

B : Thank you. I’d like to very much.

X : My younger son Ajay will be 12 on this Saturday. I’d like you to join us with your family at our residence at 6 in the evening.

Z : I’d love to, but I’m afraid I can’t. You know my father’s left eye is to be operated upon on Saturday. I shall try to send my son yathra to your place. Anyway, thanks .

R : We’re going on a trekking expedition this Sunday. How about joining us?

P : That sounds a nice idea.

R : How about you, Q?

Q : Thank you very much for asking me, but I have an important appointment with my lawyer on Sunday.

R : How about you, T?

T ; With pleasure.

A : I’ve two tickets for the charity show of The New Delhi Times for tomorrow. Would you like to join me?

B : At what time?

A : Six o’clock.

B : I wish I could, but we have a party at Regal till seven. One of our senior Executive is retiring. Thanks a lot for asking me.

I : We thought we’d spend the evening at the Hilton How about a game of tennis and later a drink?

J : I won’t say no. I’ll be with you in a minute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share