Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Seeking permission

SEEKING PERMISSION

PATTERNS

Seeking Permission

  1. Could I ….., please?
  2. Can I ….., please?
  3. Is it alright if …….?
  4. Do (would) you mind if ……?
  5. Would it be possible to …….?
  6. Have you any objection to my …..ing?
  7. I wonder if I could ……

Giving Permission

  1. Yes, of course.
  2. Certainly./ Go ahead.
  3. By all means.
  4. You can / may if you want/like
  5. You have my permission.
  6. I can’t see any objections.

Refusing Permission

  1. Sorry, it’s not possible.
  2. I’m afraid it is not possible.
  3. I’m sorry, I cannot let you…..
  4. I’m sorry, I don’t have the authority to let you ….
  5. No. you may not.
  6. You’re not allowed to…..
  7. I’m refusing.
  8. Permission will not be granted.

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

On the train

A: Excuse me. Would you mind my opening that window?

B: Not at all. Please go ahead.

A: Thank you. It’s very hot here.

B: True. Can I take some water from your pitcher?

A: Certainly. Can I have that magazine for a while?

B: I’m sorry, I haven’t finished reading it. I’ll give it to you as soon as I’ve finished.

A: Thank you.

Between friends

A : Hi, Ashok! Mind my keeping this here?

B : Not at all.

A : I’ll come back around eleven. Alright?

B : Fine. I may not be here then. But sunil will be.

A : Fine. Shall I keep it in that corner?

B : Oh, yes. It’s safer there.

At the meeting

A : Excuse me. If you don’t mind, I’d like to make a suggestion.

B : Please go ahead.

A : It woud be a good idea if we considered the latest developments in the field while examining the project proposal.

B : The latest developments? Could you give more details?

A : There were recent reports about a new method for the manufacture of one of the items we plan to produce. If I have the permission of the chair, I’d like to read out a brief report.

B : Please proceed. We’re all tnterested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share