Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Offering help

OFFERING HELP

PATTERNS

Offering help

  1. May I help you?
  2. May I be assistance?
  3. If there is anything i/we can do, please do let me/us know.
  4. Do you think I/we can help you?
  5. What can I do for you?
  6. Is there anything I can do?
  7. I’ll do it for you?
  8. How about…..?

Accepting an offer of help

  1. You are most kind.
  2. That’s most/extremely good/kind/thoughtful of you.
  3. That’s very kind of you.
  4. If it’s no trouble for you.
  5. If you don’t mind.
  6. Oh, yes. please.
  7. Just what I needed.

Declining an offer of help

  1. Thank you very much for your offer, but …..
  2. No, please don’t bother.
  3. No, I can manage. Thank you.
  4. No, don’t worry (about ….)
  5. I’m very grateful to you for your offer……

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

At the Reception

R : Good morning sir. Can I help you?

C : ‘Morning’. Can I see the manager?

R : I’m sorry, he’s in a conference at the moment.

C : Oh, well, never mind.

R : Would you like me to make an appointment for you tomorrow?

C : Oh, yes please. For 10 a.m.

R : Just a minute…… I’m sorry he has another meeting at 10. Will 3 in the afternoon be all right for you?

C : No, thank you. I’ll meet him at his residence tonight. It’s something urgent.

R : Would you like me to tell him anything?

C : Thanks. You could tell him that Mr.Bhatia was here.

R : I’ll tell him.

C : Thank you.

At the travel agency

T : Good afternoon, madam. What can I do for you?

B : Could you give me some details about your package tours?

T : Certainly. Would you like to see our brochures? Here they are. (hands her the brochures)

B : Thank you. (After going through the brochures) Well, this 12-day European tour seems to be an interesting one.

T : We could book your tickets if you like.

B : Oh yes. But not for me alone. I want three tickets to be booked.

T : Sure, we can do it. Please fill in these forms.

B : Thank you. (Returns the forms after some time)

T : Would you like us to send the tickets to you by post or would you like to collect them personally?

B : Can I take them on Friday next?

T : Sure, we’ll keep them ready for you.

B : Thank you.

T : It’s our pleasure, ma’m.

Between passengers in a train

A : It’s very cold tonight.

B : Indeed. Shall I shut the window?

A : That’d be nice. ( B Shuts the window)

B : Why don’t you wear a sweater?

A : Oh, I forgot to bring mine. I didn’t really expect it to be so cold.

B : I can give you one if you don’t mind. I have one more in my suitcase.

A : That is very kind of you. ( B gives his sweater)

B : How about a hot cup of tea?

A : No, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share