Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

SOME USEFUL EXPRESSIONS

I. Encouraging

  1. That’s good/fine/allright/lovely.
  2. You’re doing fine/very well.
  3. Lovely!/Great!/Terrific!
  4. I wish I could do as well.
  5. Come on!/Go on!/Keep at it!

II. Expressing pleasure.

  1. That’s great/wonderful/marvelous.
  2. I’m really delighted.
  3. It’s real good news.
  4. I can’t say how pleased news!
  5. Great! / Terrific! / Wonderful! / Splendid! / Smashing! / Fantastic! / Super!

III. Expressing displeasure

  1. What a nuisance!
  2. That isn’t good enough.
  3. I’m really annoyed.
  4. It really makes me mad.
  5. I’m extremely displeased/irritated/unhappy/angry

IV. Reminding

1. Don’t forget about …

2. I’d like to remind you about ….

3. I hope you’ll remember to ….., won’t you?

4. May I remind you about…….?

5. I hope you don’t mind my reminding you about …..

V. Telling someone to do something

1. Look at this!

2. Will you/would you ….., please?

3. I must ask you to ……., please?

4. Would you mind …….., please?

5. Would you be so kind as to ………?

VI. Refusing to do something

  1. I’m sorry. I can’t/ I won’t be able to …….
  2. I’m sorry. It’s not possible.
  3. Unfortunately, ………
  4. I’m afraid it’s not possible.
  5. I’m sorry to say that it may not be possible …..

VII. Saying something in another way

  1. In other words, ………
  2. To put it in another way …….
  3. What I mean is …..
  4. I was just saying/remarking/asking/wondering ……
  5. I was merely pointing out …….

VIII. Giving yourself time to think

  1. Just let me think about this/that for a moment ……
  2. Well, you see/you know …….
  3. Well, how shall I put it?
  4. Now, what was that word/phrase/expression?
  5. Just a moment, ………

IX. Changing the subject

1. Oh, by the way, ……

2. Incidentally, …….

3. Oh, I nearly forgot to tell you …..

4. Just to change the subject for a moment,…….

5. Now, on an entirely different subject , ……..

X. Avoiding giving an opinion

1. It’s difficult to say …

2. Can’t say, really.

3. Well, I don’t know, really.

4. Well, it all depends.

5. I’m afraid I can’t comment on that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share