Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Making Requests

MAKING REQUESTS

PATTERNS

  1. Can/could you ….., please?
  2. Would you mind …., please?
  3. Do you think you could ….., please?
  4. I’d be (very) grateful if you could ….
  5. I wonder whether you could…..
  6. Please do me a favour by
  7. Do you think it would be possible …..?
  8. Would you be so kind as to ……?
  9. I am sorry to trouble you, but …..
  10. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but …..

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

At the Post office/ Railway booking office

A : Excuse me. Could you give me your pen for a moment, please?

B : I’m really sorry. It doesn’t write well.

A : That’s all right.

A : (to another person) Could I have you pen for a moment, please?

C : Certainly. Here you are.

A : Thank you.

Talking to a friend on the telephone

A : Good afternoon. May I speak to Mr. Balasubramaniam, please?

B : May I know who is calling, please?

A : Krishna kumar from Kodaikanal.

B : Please hold on for a moment, sir. I’ll see if Mr. Balasubramaniam is available …. Please speak on, sir. Mr. Balasubramaniam is on the line.

A : hello, Balu, How are you?

B : Hi, Krishna. I’m fine. How are you?

A : Fine, thank you. Balu, I need you help. Do you think you could lend me some money?

B : How much?

A : Two thousand rupees.

B : Oh, certainly. Can you send someone to collect the money?

A : I’ll come myself. I’ll be there in half an hour. Thank you, Balu.

B : Most welcome. See you then.

At the office

D : Good morning, Mr. Murali.

O : Good morning, sir.

D : Mr. Murali, we are planning to hold our next Board meeting sometime during the last week of this month. Can you prepare and present to Board a detailed project report on our proposed handtools plant?

O : Certainly, sir. I’ll be really glad to do that.

D : Thank you. Please get on with the work. You may consult me whenever you want to.

O : Thank you sir. If you don’t mind, may I know the date of the meeting?

D : Most probably it will be the 27th.

O : The 27th? I am sorry to say this, sir, but would it be possible to postpone it by a day or so? There is an important religious function at my house on the 27th.

D : I see. Let me consult the Chairman. I’ll tell you in a day or two.

O : Thank you, sir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share