Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Asking for Information

Asking for information

PATTERNS

  1. Asking for information

  1. Can you tell me ……, please?
  2. Could you tell me ……, please?
  3. Do you know …….?
  4. Do you happen to know ……?
  5. Can you help me ……?
  6. I’d like to know ….
  7. I wonder if you someone could tell me ……..
  8. I should be interested to know …
  9. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but ,,,,,
  10. Any clue …..?
  11. Any idea…..?

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

At the Office

Officer: Good morning, Mr. Rao.

Clerk: Good morning, sir.

Officer: Can you tell me where the purchase records are kept?

Clerk: They are with the Superintendent, sir.

Officer: Oh, I see. Do you know what action has been taken on the proposal to buy a typewriter?

Clerk: The order getting typed, sir.

Officer: We are moving rather slowly, aren’t we?

Clerk: In a way, yes. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but have you read the Union’s report on the working of the office?

Officer: I haven’t yet been able to read it fully, but I think there are some useful suggestions in it.

At the enquiry counters in a railway station

A : Excuse me. Could you tell me what time the Tamil Nadu Express arrives?

B : The scheduled time is 6.30. But I’m afraid it’s late by one hour today.

A : So the train will arrive at 7.30 in the evening?

B : Yes. But please check around seven.

A : Okay, I’ll do that. I also wanted to know the second class fare from here to Madras.

B : Just a minute, please. Yes, it is one hundred and twelve rupees.

A : Thank you.

Between friends

Magesh: Hi, Sutha, How are you?

SuthaK: Hi! I’m fine. And you?

Magesh: So so.

SuthaK: What are you doing this evening? How about a movie?

Magesh: Which one?

SuthaK: ‘The Platoon’ is showing at Royal.

Magesh: Fine. Let’s go. Any idea what time the picture begins?

SuthaK: I think it’s at 6.30. Shall we meet there at six?

Magesh: All right, see you at six.

SuthaK: See you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share