Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Asking if you are Obliged to do something

PATTERNS

  1. Asking if you are obliged to do something

  1. Do I (really) have/need to….?
  2. Need I / must I ………..?
  3. Have I got to …….?
  4. Is it necessary to ……..?
  5. I suppose I have got to ….?
  6. Are we obliged to / required to ….?
  7. Are we under any obligation to …?

  1. Saying someone is obliged to do something

  1. I think you have to ….
  2. I’m afraid you’ll have to …….
  3. You’ll be required to ….
  4. They’ll make you ……
  5. You’re expected/supposed to …..

  1. Saying someone is not obliged to do something

  1. You don’t have to……
  2. I don’t think you’ll have to ….
  3. There’s no need to …..
  4. You’re under no obligation to …..
  5. No one can force you to ….

PRACTICE – DIALOGUE

I. At the Office

A: Sir, the Manager expects you to send your application through the Assistant Manager.

B: Do I really have to? We both are of the same rank. I don’t think anybody can force me to route my application through the Assistant Manager.

C: They’ll make you do it, sir. Our previous Accounts Officer used to do so.

II. At the Bank

Bank Clerk: I’m afraid we can’t accept this cheque. There are too many changes and corrections. Could you write out another cheque, please?

Customer: Do I really need to? I have initialed all the corrections.

Bank Clerk: It’s true, but it appears rather shabby. I’m afraid you’ll have to write out another cheque.

Customer: Well, if you insist.

III. At the railway station

Police officer: Would you mind opening these boxes?

Traveller: Well, they contain apples and mangoes. Is it necessary to open them.

Police Officer: Do you have the cash receipts for having bought these?

Traveller: Is one expected to carry the cash receipts of things bought here and produce them on demand?

Police Officer: You’re under no obligation to do so. But I’m afraid you’ll have to open these boxes. We’re acting under orders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share