Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Checking that you have Understood

PATTERNS

  1. Checking that you have understood
  1. Does that / Do you mean…….?
  2. If I understand right, ………
  3. So, I am right in saying……..?
  4. I’m sorry if I’m being stupid, but I’m not sure I understand.
  5. Are you trying to say that …….?
  6. The implication seems to be……
  7. If I’ve got it right/ If I’ve followed you, then …

  1. Checking that someone has understood you
  1. Do you see what I mean?
  2. I hope that’s clear?
  3. That’s clear, isn’t it?
  4. Do you understand …….?
  5. Do you see? / Right? / O.K.? / Yeah?/ Get it? / Got it?
  6. Know what I’m getting/hinting/driving at?
  7. If there’s anything you haven’t understood, please say so.

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

At the Office

A : Did you read this report about your department in today’s newspaper?

B : Yes, I did. That’s only the tip of the iceberg.

A : Are you trying to say that all that is written is true and there is more of it?

B : Exactly. It is a known fact that you can get any work done by the department if you approach the right person. You know what I mean?

A : In other words, one has to shed a few hundreds in order to get the work done. Is that what you are hinting at?

B : If not in cash, you make it in kind. You make a complaint and meet the right person and do what’s needed. They attend to your complaint the same day while someone who had made a complaint ten day’s ago or a month ago still waits for his turn. Does that make things clear to you?

A : I don’t think I ever knew about these things. I just can’t believe it.

At the Store

A : Can you tell me how to use this camera?

B : This is a totally automatic camera.

A : Do you mean to say that I don’t have to do anything but click it?

B : Exactly. All you have to do is to aim and shoot. Before you do this load the camera with a cartridge of film. At the bottom of the camera you find a slide. Push it to the side where the arrow points to O.K.? This is where you put the cartridge. Hold the cartridge with these two heads pointing away from you and insert in this slot. Now the camera is loaded. Do you follow me?

A : Yes.

B : Now slide the lid backward and the camera is ready for use. Wind the film till No.1 appears in the screen behind the camera. Then aim and shoot. After every shot the lens gets locked.

A : That means the same film won’t get exposed twice, right?

B : That’s right. Push the release button before you shoot next. If you need a flash light just press this and the flash gets released. That clear now, isn’t it?

A : I think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share