Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ending a conversation

Ending a conversation

PATTERNS

Ending a conversation

  1. I’m afraid I must go now.
  2. I hope you don’t mind my leaving.
  3. I must really be going.
  4. I’m sorry, but I have a meeting at three o’clock.
  5. I’m sorry, but I am expecting an important visitor now.
  6. Excuse me. I have to catch a train.
  7. It’s been very nice talking to you, but I must leave now.
  8. Goodbye /bye / Bye-bye
  9. See you later/tomorrow/next week.

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

In a college

Student: Good morning, sir. May I come in?

Professor: Good morning. Do come in. Sit down.

Student: Sir. We have to prepare a project report as part of our course. If you could give me some guidelines on how to do it…

Professor: What’s your area of research?

Student: The role of mass media in English Language teaching.

Professor: Ah, the role of mass media, is it? Now, let me see …… Why don’t you make a study of how the English educational programmes broadcast by AIR are being used by the schools?

Student: I’ll do that.

Professor: Select one particular series of programmes. Study them well. Prepare a questionnaire with the help of your supervisor. Then you can go to some schools and ask the children who listen to the programmes to answer the questionnaire.

Student: How many schools should I approach, sir?

Professor: About half a dozen, I should think.

Student: Okay, sir. There was something else I wanted to discuss with you.

Professor: Can we do that later? I have a class at 3.

Student: Yes, sir. Thank you very much for the help.

Professor: it’s all right.

At the enquiry counters in a railway station

A : Hi, Vijaya. Nice to see you. Been away or something?

B : Yes, I had been to my grandmother’s for two weeks.

A : It must’ve been lovely. How did you like you stay there?

B : It was enjoyable. Oh, my God. It’s 1.45. The banks close at two, don’t they? I must really hurry. See your later.

A : See you.

Between friends

A : That was good adventure you had.

B : Those moments were terrible. I don’t know how we lived through them. But now that I am back home I can think about it and laugh.

C : Well. I suppose it is nice to have things to remember.

B : It also shows how helpful the people there are. We were total strangers and still they trusted us and came forward to help us.

A : Exactly. Jim, I really enjoyed talking to you and sharing your experience. But now I must leave. I have to catch the 8.30 local.

C : Can’t you stay a little longer? There’s another train at 9.15.

A : I’m sorry, but I have to catch this one.

B : Well, if you insist. Thank you for the company. Good night.

C : Good night, Sunil.

A : Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share