Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Asking if someone is able to do something

PATTERNS

  1. Asking if someone is able to do something

  1. Can you …..?
  2. Do you know how to ……?
  3. Is he any good at …….?
  4. Do you feel capable of…….?
  5. Would you say you were capable of ……..?
  6. Do you have the ability/qualification/experience necessary ….?

  1. Saying you are able to do something

  1. I can / I know / I know how to…….
  2. I know something about ……
  3. It’s not too difficult to ……
  4. Sure/Yes. No problem.
  5. I’m pretty good at……
  6. I feel able to……

  1. Saying you are not able to do something

  1. No, I don’t know how to ……
  2. I’m not sure I can/know how to…..
  3. I’ve no idea how to ….
  4. I don’t think I can manage
  5. I’m afraid I can’t cope with …….

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

At the Club

Solai: I don’t know what happened to my T.V. set. Last night when we were watching the movie, the picture suddenly went off.

Raja: It’s possible that the fuse has burnt out.

Solai: Well. I don’t know anything about T.V. sets. Here comes Kumana. Let’s ask him. He’s an electrical engineer. Hello Kumana, how are you?

Kumana: Oh, fine. Thank you. Why are you both looking at the T.V. set.

Solai: The picture suddenly went off while we were watching the movies last night. Do you think you can set it right?

Kumana: I don’t think I know much about T.V sets and their components. I think you better call in the service engineer.

Solai: Strangely my radio too went silent yesterday. I don’t know what’s wrong. Do you know how to repair radios?

Kumana: well, I might be able to. I know something about radio repairing.

Solai: Then why don’t you have a look at it?

Over telephone

Vijay: Hello, is that the Golden Motor Works?

Ajith: Yes. What can I do for you, sir?

Vijay: Well, my car has developed some starting trouble. Could you send your mechanic? I am in 116, Bank Street, Kodambakkam.

Ajith: I’m sorry, our mechanic just left to attend to another complaint. I’m afraid he’ll be back only after an hour. I can send one of our trainees if the problem isn’t anything very serious.

Vijay: Do you think he is good at repairing motor cars?

Ajith: I think he’ll be able to help you if it isn’t anything serious. Anyway let him have a look at it first. He can ask for more help necessary.

Vijay: That’s fine. Do you think he knows anything about electric motors?

Ajith: I don’t think he has the faintest idea of repairing electric motors. He’s an automobile mechanic.

Vijay: Oh, that’s all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share