Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Asking if someone is sure

PATTERNS

  1. Asking if someone is sure about something
  1. Are you (quite) sure (about) ………?
  2. Are you certain (about) ………?
  3. Are you sure? / Definitely? / Really?
  4. Is there any doubt about……..?
  5. Perhaps I misunderstand, but are quite sure…….?

  1. Saying you are sure

  1. I’m sure/certain.
  2. I’ve no doubt (about)…
  3. I’m a hundred per cent certain.
  4. I don’t think there can be any doubt about…
  5. There is no/very little doubt in my mind……..
  6. There can’t be any doubt….

  1. Saying you are not sure

  1. Sorry, I’m not sure ……
  2. I can’t decide.
  3. I’m in two minds (about) ….
  4. I can’t say for certain.
  5. One can’t say with any certainty.
  6. There’s still an element of doubt.
  7. There’s surely some doubt about…

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

During a police enquiry

A : Who do you think would have stolen the ornaments?

B : I just don’t find any clue to this mystery.

A : How about your maid servant?

B : I don’t think she’d ever do that.

A : Are you quite sure about it?

B : Whenever she was in need of money she used to ask us. Moreover, she has no children nor any relatives. I don’t see any possibility of her doing it. I don’t think there can be any doubt about it.

A : What about your gardener?

B : Oh, you can be sure about his integrity. He’s been with me for the past twenty years. He’s more than a member of the family and it’s quite certain that he’d never attempt anything of this kind.

A : Are you quite sure that he wouldn’t take anything even f he finds valuable lying here and there in the house?

B : Definitely not. There were several occasions when my wife had forgotten her gold chain and ear rings in the bathroom. On most occasions it was he who noticed them and brought them to us.

Between friends

A : Did you hear this? We’re in for another hike in petrol prices?

B : Really?

A : This is not a confirmed report, of course. But, you know, this is how it always begins-with an unconfirmed report and up comes the Government announcement in two days.

B : Do you mean to say that a hike is certain?

A : I can’t say for certain, but it looks quite likely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share