Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Use of Wrong Words

One of the common mistakes committed by the users of English in India is the use of inappropriate words in sentences. This, as you can see in the examples below, results from a confusion between words which are close to each other in meaning but are not always inter-changeable. In the following sentences the underlined words need to be replaced by the words in brackets.


I tried to persuade him, but he refuses to hear me.(listen to)

Did they like the travel? (journey)

You’re already dark. I’m afraid black clothes may not fit you well. (suit)

We’re waiting for more orders very soon. (expecting)

They denied to accept the compensation offered to them. (refused)

The dealer has accepted to give me a new one. (agreed)

In case I forget to return this, please remember me.(remind)

The workers threat to go on a strike did not have any affect on the management. (effect)

The misfortune did not effect him much. (affect)

The baby kept weeping all along the ceremony. (through)

A wide agreement has been reached at the meeting. (broad)

Do you intend to put all the money in the swiss bank? (keep)

You don’t seem to care for your own machines. (take care of)

Could you tell me the last score? (latest)

I was annoyed when I received the news of my cousin’s death. (disturbed)

Ayurvedic medicines seem to be very efficient for the treatment of jaundice. (effective)

We will ever remember you. (always)

We have been waiting long for your reply. (for a long time)

No one of the parcels reached us in time. (none)

Admissions are opened to our institute. (open)

He is quiet efficient at work. (quite)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share