Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Persuading

PERSUADING

PATTERNS

  1. Please let me….
  2. Won’t you let me….
  3. Why don’t you…?
  4. Just this once, please.
  5. Are you sure you can’t/won’t ……
  6. I think you’d do well to ……
  7. But the most sensible thing to do would be to ….
  8. Are you sure that you won’t reconsider …..?
  9. Have you considered everything?
  10. Are you sure you have taken everything into account?

PRACTICE/ DIALOGUE

Between friends

A: Usha. What are you doing this afternoon? How about a movie?

B: Which one?

A: There’s a good English movie at Chanakya.

B: You know I don’t like English movies.

A: Oh, come on. I’ll sure you’ll enjoy this one.

B: I don’t enjoy English movies. I can’t follow the conversation fully.

A: So what? We’re not Englishmen. Most of us are not able to follow the conversation fully. But there are so many other things you can enjoy.

B: That’s true.

A: Then why don’t you come?

B: All right. I’ll be at Chanakya at 2.30. Is that OK?

A: Fine. See you at 2.30.

B: See you.

At a college

L: Good morning sir. May I come in?

P: Good morning, Mr. Sullan. Do come in and take your seat.

L: Thank you. Sir. I’m thinking of leaving the college.

P: But why? Aren’t you happy here?

L: Of course, I am. It’s really a pleasure working here.

P: Then what’s the matter now?

L: I’ve been selected as an officer in the Reserve Bank.

P: And you want to accept that?

L: I am thinking of accepting it. As you know, sir, a bank officer gets much more than a lecturer.

P: I know that. In terms of salary, it is an attractive job for you. But is money the only consideration? Do you think you’ll be happy working in a bank? You’re a M.A. in English Literature, you’ve a flair for writing and the students like your classes.

L: Well, what you say is true. Still …….

P: I don’t want to stand in your way. But do you think you have considered everything? With your talents, do you think you’ll enjoy working on debits, credits and balance sheets? I think you’ll do well to reconsider your decision. On your part, we are very happy with your work. We’ll be sorry if you decide to leave.

L: All right, sir. I’ll think about it once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share