Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Starting conversation with a stranger

PATTERNS

  1. Excuse me, …..?
  2. Excuse my asking, but …….?
  3. Sorry to trouble you, but…….?
  4. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but …….
  5. Terribly hot/windy/cold, isn’t it?
  6. Hi! Great party/music, isn’t it?
  7. Forgive me for asking, but …….?

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

In an auditorium

A : It’s very hot in here, isn’t it?

B : True. It’s like a summer afternoon.

A : Is it alright if I sit here?

B : Perfectly. Help yourself.

A : Thank you. By the way, I’m Gobal Naidu.

B : I’m Beem Boi. Nice to meet you. What do you do, Mr. Gobal Naidu?

A : I’m an officer in the State Bank of India.

B : Oh, I see. Which branch?

A ; I’m at the head office. How about you, Mr. Boi?

B : I teach at the Govt. Arts College.

A : Oh, do you? That’s nice. What’s your subject?

B : I teach Mathematics.

On the road

A : Excuse me, could you tell me where the bus station is?

B : Sorry, I’m a stranger here.

A : That’s all right. ( to another person): Just a moment please. I wanted to go to the bus station.

B : There are two bus stations here, one for the city buses and another for the long-distance busses. Where do you want to go?

A : The one for the long-distances busses.

B : I’m afraid it is about five kilometers from here. From that bus stop over there you can take bus No.6A. It will take you to the bus station.

A : Thank you very much.

B : Welcome.

In a bus

K : Excuse me for asking, but are you related to Reshma ?

L : Yes. I’m her cousin. Do you know Reshma?

K : Very well. We were classmates. I think we met once at Reshma’s house.

L : Did we? Er….. You’re the boy who used to play the piano?

K : Exactly. My Name is Rakesh.

L : I’m Bossh. What are you doing now, Mr. Rakesh.

K : I’m with Loyola Computers. How about you?

L : I’m regional manager of Saritha Pharmaceuticals.

K : Are you? My brothers Suja is alos Saritha Pharma. He’s at Kodambakkam now.

L : Oh, you’re Suja’s brother? He’s a very good friend of mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share