Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Asking someone to say something again

PATTERNS

  1. Asking someone to say something again
  1. Pardon?
  2. I’m sorry I didn’t catch/hear …….
  3. I’m sorry, what was that word/his name, etc.?
  4. Would/Could you repeat what you said/that name/the last word, etc, please?
  5. I’m sorry, would you/mind repeating…., please?
  6. I beg your pardon?

  1. Saying something again

  1. I said ….
  2. I was just saying/remarking …..
  3. What I said was …….
  4. I was just/merely expressing the view…….
  5. I was pointing out the fact that……
  6. I was just wondering/enquiring………

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

In a crowded bus

A : Excuse me, you are standing on my foot.

B : I’m sorry, what did you say?

A : I said you are standing on my foot.

B : (takes off his foot) Oh, I’m terribly sorry. I didn’t realize it, you see.

A : It’s all right. Thank you.

At the departmental store

A : Good evening. Can I help you?

B : ‘Evening. I’ve a complaint to make. You see, I bought this electric iron just a month ago, but ……

A : Sorry? When did you say you bought it?

B : A month ago and it’s not working now. I’d like to have it repaired or replaced.

A : Where did you buy it from?

B : At Rosy Electricals.

A : Could you repeat that name, please?

B : ROSY ELECTRICALS

A : I’m afraid they’re not our authorized dealers. Anyway, do you have the guarantee card for this?

B : Sorry? What card did you say?

A : The guarantee card wherein you’re given a guarantee by the company to repair any manufacturing defect noticed within a period of six months.

B : I don’t think I ever got one.

A : I’m afraid in that case we can’t repair it free of charge. However, if you agree to pay for it, we can ask our electrician to do the repair.

B : Well, if that’s the only choice for me, I think I’ll pay the necessary charges.

A : All right. You can leave it with us and collect it tomorrow at the same time.

B : Thank you.

A : You’re welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share