Search the web

Custom Search

Chitika

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Asking for someone’s opinion

PATTERNS

  1. Asking for someone’s opinion
  1. What do you think/feel about ……
  2. What’s your opinion/reaction?
  3. How do you see…..?
  4. How would you react to ….?
  5. What would you say to …..?

  1. Giving your opinion

  1. I think/feel/believe …..
  2. It seems to me…….
  3. From my point view …..
  4. The way I see it …….
  5. Don’t you think ……
  6. If you ask me, ……
  7. It’s my considered opinion that ……

  1. Saying you have no opinion
  1. I really don’t have any opinion about..
  2. I don’t know what to say …..
  3. I’ve no strong feelings about……
  4. I’ve nothing to say in particular.
  5. I don’t know.

PRACTICE / DIALOGUE

At a meeting

A : As you know, gentlemen, the management has agreed to most of the major demands put forward by the unions. Still they have decided to go on a strike form the 24th of this month. Could I have your opinion or reaction to this move by the unions?

B : In my opinion, the management must not yield to any further demands at present. It has been made clear that the remaining demands will be considered sympathetically after a few months. So I don’t see any justification for a strike at all.

C : To my mind, the major point of difference appears to be the issue of overtime wages. Hence I’d say that we should reconsider the issue if we are keen on averting the strike.

A : How would you react that, Mr.D?

D : It seems to me that there is much substance in what Mr.C says. It’s from our point of view that we have agreed to most of the major demands. As Mr. C rightly put it, the question of overtime wages is the most important issue for them. To be frank about it, I am more inclined support C’s view than anyone else’s.

A : Have you got any comments on that, Mr. E?

E : I’ve nothing to say in particular. But I’d also endorse the view that we should reconsider the overtime wage issue and resolve the deadlock.

A : Well, if most of you feel so, let’s have further discussion on that.

Among friends

A : What do you say to the proposal to go on hiking expedition next Sunday?

B : I think it’s an excellent idea.

A : But don’t you think the season is not right for hiking? Can’t we wait till the monsoon is over? I believe it is rather risky going up hills during the season.

B : But then don’t you also agree that there is an element of risk in any adventure?

C : Of course. As far as I’m concerned, I’ll be glad to join. I was only expressing my view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails

BookMark&Share

Bookmark and Share